Adobe Launches Generative Fill for Photoshop: Revolutionizing Design Workflows with Firefly AI
Adobe has announced the launch of Generative Fill for Photoshop, which integrates Adobe Firefly's generative AI capabilities into design workflows. The feature allows designers to easily add, extend, or remove content from their creations in seconds using simple text prompts. The beta release of Photoshop is Adobe's first Creative Cloud application to deeply integrate Firefly, with an exciting roadmap ahead that will transform workflows across Creative Cloud, Document Cloud, Experience Cloud, and Adobe Express. Firefly, Adobe's family of creative generative AI models, launched six weeks ago with an initial focus on the generation of images and text effects, and has quickly become one of the most successful beta launches in Adobe's history. Firefly now supports vector recoloring and generative fill after its initial launch. Firefly's first model is trained on Adobe Stock images, openly licensed content, and other public domain content without copyright restrictions, making it easy for enterprises to incorporate their own creative collateral. The integration of Firefly throughout Adobe Experience Cloud applications boosts the production of content supply chain for marketing organizations.
Generative Fill automatically matches perspective, lighting, and style of images to enable users to achieve astounding results while reducing tedious tasks. The feature expands creative expression and productivity and enhances creative confidence of creators with the use of natural language and concepts to generate digital content in seconds. Ashley Still, Senior Vice President of Digital Media at Adobe, expressed the transformative nature of integrating Firefly into workflows, stating, “By integrating Firefly directly into workflows as a creative co-pilot, Adobe is accelerating ideation, exploration, and production for all of our customers.”
While Generative Fill is only rolling out to the full Photoshop app in the “second half of 2023,” there are a couple of ways to try it out now. First, it's available in Photoshop's desktop beta app, which can be accessed through the Creative Cloud desktop app. Adobe promises that Generative Fill will leave testing and be generally available in the second half of 2023.
Adobe's version of generative AI technology is called Firefly, and it powers the generative AI in Photoshop. It is designed to generate images that are safe for commercial use and is trained on Adobe Stock's hundreds of millions of professional-grade, licensed, high-resolution images, helping ensure it won't generate content based on other peoples' or brands' intellectual property. The technology can create content, including written articles, images, videos, and music, from simple descriptive phrases. A host of generative AI software programs for images have hit the market, including OpenAI's DALL-E, Stable Diffusion, Midjourney, and others.
Overall, the integration of generative AI into design workflows has the potential to revolutionize the way designers work and produce content. With the ability to easily add, extend, or remove content from images in seconds using simple text prompts, designers can now experiment with off-the-wall ideas, ideate different concepts and produce boundless variations of high-quality content as fast as they can type.
0. “Photoshop gains generative AI tech” Australian Photography, 23 May. 2023, https://www.australianphotography.com/gear/photoshop-gains-generative-ai-tech
1. “Photoshop is the first Adobe Creative Cloud app to get Firefly Generative AI” 9to5Mac, 23 May. 2023, https://9to5mac.com/2023/05/23/photoshop-first-adobe-app-with-generative-ai
2. “Adobe is adding an AI-powered image generator to Photoshop” CNN, 23 May. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/23/tech/photoshop-generative-ai/index.html
3. “Adobe Unveils Future of Creative Cloud With Generative AI as a Creative Co-Pilot in Photoshop” Marketscreener.com, 23 May. 2023, https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/stock/ADOBE-INC-4844/news/Adobe-Unveils-Future-of-Creative-Cloud-With-Generative-AI-as-a-Creative-Co-Pilot-in-Photoshop-43923364/
4. “Adobe Unleashes Generative AI in Photoshop Beta” ExtremeTech, 23 May. 2023, https://www.extremetech.com/computing/adobe-unleashes-generative-ai-in-photoshop-beta
5. “Adobe integrates Firefly's generative AI with Photoshop” Digital Camera World, 23 May. 2023, https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/adobe-integrates-fireflys-generative-ai-with-photoshop
6. “Adobe Photoshop Will Use Generative AI to Fill Images” How-To Geek, 23 May. 2023, https://www.howtogeek.com/894475/adobe-photoshop-will-use-generative-ai-to-fill-images/
7. “Photoshop's new AI-powered tricks will fix your biggest mistakes” TechRadar, 23 May. 2023, https://www.techradar.com/news/photoshops-new-ai-powered-tricks-will-fix-your-biggest-mistakes
8. “Adobe Firefly turns Photoshop into effortless AI image generator” Cult of Mac, 23 May. 2023, https://www.cultofmac.com/817462/adobe-firefly-photoshop-ai-image-generator
9. “Amid AI Generated Hoax, Adobe Introduces Firefly in Photoshop” Analytics India Magazine, 23 May. 2023, https://analyticsindiamag.com/amid-ai-generated-hoax-adobe-introduces-firefly-in-photoshop
10. “Photoshop Has Become A Lot More Powerful Thanks To Brand New Generative AI Features Using Adobe’s Firefly” Wccftech, 23 May. 2023, https://wccftech.com/photoshop-has-become-a-lot-more-powerful-thanks-to-brand-new-generative-ai-features-using-adobes-firefly/
11. “ADBE Stock: Adobe Revamps Its Prized Photoshop Software With Generative AI Tools | Investor's Business Daily” Investor's Business Daily, 23 May. 2023, https://www.investors.com/news/technology/adbe-stock-adobe-revamps-its-prized-photoshop-software-with-generative-ai-tools/