Dead Space Remake: A Masterclass in Modernizing Classic Horror
EA’s remake of classic horror game Dead Space is a masterclass in how to give a game the modern-day treatment without sacrificing the original’s charm. With updated visuals, new dialogue, and tons of new gameplay additions, Dead Space Remake is a must-play for fans of the genre.
Dead Space is set aboard the USG Ishimura, a massive mining vessel that has been overrun by Necromorphs, zombie-like creatures. We follow Isaac Clarke, an engineer and crewman on a repair vessel USG Kellion assigned to the USG Ishimura, as he attempts to survive the Necromorph outbreak. Along the way, Isaac and the Kellion crew uncover a mystery involving a fanatical religious order and a mysterious artifact known as “The Marker”.
The visuals in Dead Space Remake are stunning, and the game looks like a beautiful cinematic experience. With its horror atmosphere, twists, and revelations, it feels very much like an Alien movie. The game also shines in its main story, which is constantly evolving as Isaac makes his way through the ship.
The developers have also made some significant design tweaks to get more in line with modern sensibilities, including a complete rework of the story and dialogue. Gone is the main female NPC’s insufferable personality, and Isaac is no longer a mute protagonist. In addition, Isaac and his love interest now both look distinctly middle-aged.
The Dead Space remake also features a variety of new gameplay mechanics, including a plethora of new weapons, weapon upgrades, and puzzles. There is plenty of content to keep players occupied, and the game is a great example of how to remake a game correctly. It is an absolutely phenomenal experience, and a must-play for fans of the genre.
Dead Space can now be played on PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S. Developed by Motive Studios and published by Electronic Arts, the game was reviewed on PlayStation 5.
0. “Dead Space review: A dismembering journey to the cosmos that shouldn't be skipped” News9 LIVE, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.news9live.com/technology/gaming/dead-space-review-a-dismembering-journey-to-the-cosmos-au2181-2057675
1. “Dead Space Review” TheXboxHub, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.thexboxhub.com/dead-space-review/
2. “Review: Dead Space – In Space, There’s A Lot Of Screaming” GameLuster, 17 Feb. 2023, https://gameluster.com/review-dead-space-in-space-theres-a-lot-of-screaming
3. “Dead Space Remake 2023 – Zero Punctuation” The Escapist, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.escapistmagazine.com/dead-space-remake-2023-zero-punctuation
4. “Dead Space Remake Review – Resurgence” Vamers, 20 Feb. 2023, https://vamers.com/2023/02/20/dead-space-remake-review
5. “Dead Space Remake Video Shows a Uniquely Isometric View of the Horror Game” GameRant, 23 Feb. 2023, https://gamerant.com/dead-space-isometric-view-tilt-shift