Watch the 2023 Corvette Z06 Take on the Ferrari 812 Superfast in a ¼ Mile Shootout
The 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 is turning heads as a serious competitor in the supercar market. Since the first C8 Corvette Z06s arrived with owners, people have been testing just how potent the car is when stacked up against supercar rivals. The DragTimes YouTube team has provided us with an opportunity to witness a ¼ mile showdown between the mid-engined sports car and the extremely potent Ferrari 812 Superfast at Bradenton Motorsports Park. Assisted by GM's launch control system, the Z06 smoothly exits the assembly line without any fuss. The Ferrari didn't have any trouble launching and stayed just slightly behind the Z06 at the start of the run. As the 1/4 pass nears its end, the Ferrari begins to outpace the Corvette, thanks to a significant difference in horsepower between the two cars. However, things didn’t quite pan out that way, with the Z06 besting the Italian supercar during the first pass of 10.595 seconds at 128.9 mph.
The C8 Corvette Z06 owes plenty of its uncharacteristically-American performance to the Prancing Horse company. The engineers of Corvette delved extensively into the mysteries of a Ferrari V8 (taken from a 458 Italia), in order to gain knowledge on how to transform America's sportscar into a superior supercar. It should be noted that the Z06 manufactured for the EU market is limited to generating a maximum of 636 horsepower and 439 pound-feet of torque using the identical 5.5-liter DOHC V8 engine featured in the US Z06. The EU-spec Z06 takes one additional second to hit 60 mph. The Corvette Z06 in Europe is equipped with the identical 5.5-liter DOHC V8 engine as its North American counterpart. However, it has a gas particulate filter and an altered exhaust system, which accounts for the presence of Stingray-style exhaust finishers at the rear. Consequently, the mill's maximum power stands at 636 horsepower and 439 pound-feet of torque, which is lower than the North American market's 670 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque.
It is awe-inspiring to witness the Z06's unwavering trap speeds, and the launch control system's effortless operation only adds to its impressiveness. The C8 Z06 feels at home when cornering at triple-digit speeds. The 2023 Z06, in contrast to the standard C8, has undergone extensive testing and development to provide a more secure and satisfying track experience. Chevrolet engineers ensured that the perfect combination of elements was incorporated to provide an exciting and immersive experience while driving on any racecourse. The C8 Z06 has proven its prowess as a strong contender in straight-line races with this impressive run.
One could argue that the C8 Corvette Z06 is among the finest automobiles ever manufactured in America. You can get a supercar with the world's most powerful naturally-aspirated V-8 engine for a fraction of the cost of an equivalent mid-engined Ferrari. This is particularly noteworthy in an era where even the iconic Prancing Horse brand has adopted turbocharging and electric power. As these high-performance cars are gradually reaching their owners, it is almost certain that they will be compared to other supercars. In today's YouTube video presented by DragTimes, we witness the Corvette Z06 competing against the Ferrari 812 Superfast. The Z06 has already struggled to escape comparisons with the mid-engined sports cars from Maranello, and exhaust note won't help with that. Those comparisons are not accidental. As a benchmark for the flat-plane Z06, GM employed a Ferrari 458 Speciale and the 991-generation 911 GT2 RS. GM was recently seen conducting tests of a Ferrari SF90 at their Michigan testing facility, indicating the extraordinary level of performance that can be expected from future C8 models.
When it comes to performance, the C8 Corvette Z06 and 812 Superfast have significantly different approaches. The first one is a supercar with a rear mid-engine, and the second one has its engine located at the front but positioned behind the front axle, making it technically a mid-engine car, although it leans more towards being a grand tourer. Although the C8 Z06 displayed in the video is mostly unmodified, it should be mentioned that it has a Fabspeed exhaust installed. It is evident right from the start of the car that the volume and tone are significantly distinct from those of an ordinary Corvette. The Z06 has been facing challenges to differentiate itself from Maranello's mid-engined sports cars, and its exhaust sound does not alleviate this comparison.
The 2023 Corvette Z06 is fitted with one of the most intoxicating engines of any current production car but it is also quite the performer on a racetrack, as evidenced by this recent test of it at Germany’s Hockenheimring. A fresh video has been released by the Sport Auto channel on YouTube, featuring a visit to the Hockenheim GP circuit in Germany. By watching the attached video at the top of this page, you can accompany Uwe Sener on a high-speed lap around the track in a Corvette Z06 C8. Although Sener's time is not a new record, it is still a commendable performance for a stock car.
0. “Hop Onboard Chevy Corvette Z06 For A Fast Hockenheim GP Lap” Motor1 , 20 Apr. 2023, https://www.motor1.com/news/663297/chevy-corvette-z06-hockenheim-lap/
1. “Watch This Bone-Stock Chevrolet C8 Corvette Z06 Set A New 1/4 Mile Record” HotCars, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.hotcars.com/bone-stock-chevrolet-c8-corvette-z06-set-new-quarter-mile-record/
2. “Corvette Z06 Takes Its Ferrari-Inspired V8 Seriously, Drags and Thrashes 812 Superfast” autoevolution, 16 Apr. 2023, https://www.autoevolution.com/news/corvette-z06-takes-its-ferrari-inspired-v8-seriously-drags-and-thrashes-812-superfast-213537.html
3. “Ferrari 812 Is No Match for the C8 Corvette Z06” Road & Track, 17 Apr. 2023, https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a43619573/ferrari-812-c8-corvette-z06-no-match-drag-strip/
4. “Its Official!! The Chevy Corvette Is Now A Ferrari Killer. Here's Why” TopSpeed, 20 Apr. 2023, https://www.topspeed.com/corvette-z06-crushes-ferrari-812-superfast-to-shreds/
5. “Sport Auto Takes The C8 Corvette Z06 For A Fast Hockenheim GP Lap” CorvSport.com, 21 Apr. 2023, https://www.corvsport.com/sport-auto-takes-the-c8-corvette-z06-for-a-fast-hockenheim-gp-lap/
6. “The Corvette Z06 Is On Par With A Lamborghini Huracan Evo At Hockenheimring” CarScoops, 21 Apr. 2023, https://www.carscoops.com/2023/04/the-chevy-corvette-z06-is-on-par-with-a-lamborghini-huracan-evo-at-hockenheimring/