Roku Unveils New Select and Plus Series TVs and Roku OS 12 Updates
Roku, Inc. (NASDAQ: ROKU) has announced the features and availability of its new Roku Select and Plus Series TVs. Available in 11 models ranging from 24” to 75”, Roku-branded HD and 4K TVs are the first ever to be both designed and made by Roku, underscoring the company's commitment to providing a best-in-class streaming experience at an accessible price. The new Roku Select and Plus Series TVs are exclusively available at Best Buy Stores and BestBuy.com, and the Roku Wireless Soundbar, designed to provide a seamless wireless complement to the TVs, will be available later this month.
Roku OS 12 is the latest update to the Roku platform, which will be automatically updated or available for download on most existing Roku streaming players, smart soundbars, and Roku TVs (including their new in-house branded TVs). OS 12 adds more intuitive, personalized, and seamless streaming experiences, including improvements and new channel partners across Live TV, Sports, content discovery, and the Roku Mobile App. It also introduces a Local News feature that allows users to watch live news channels personalized by location or stream channels from major cities across the U.S., and is powered by AI for a curated experience within the Live TV Zone.
The Roku mobile app is also getting updates, with key changes being made to the account hub, home screen, and Roku Photo Streams. A “Guide” Button will now let viewers launch the Live TV Channel Guide from the mobile app when streaming via a Roku player, and users can now upload images directly from their phones to a photo stream for viewing on their TV, as well as edit streams and set screensavers. In the coming months, the app will also feature a more immersive interface, including a revamped account hub, more streamlined home screen, and a Live TV Channel “Guide” button.
Additionally, a Continue Watching feature is being added, located within the What to Watch section, which will give users a single location to jump back into the content that they love. This is supported by discovery+, Prime Video, HBO MAX, Netflix, Paramount+ and the Roku Channel.
Roku is also beefing up its sports section, which launched last year, with more personalized sports experience coming in the coming months.
0. “Roku Reports Retail Accessibility for Roku Select and Plus Series TVs” Financialbuzz.com, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.financialbuzz.com/roku-reports-retail-accessibility-for-roku-select-and-plus-series-tvs
1. “Roku OS 12 Offers A More Personalized Viewing Experience on Roku Devices” eCoustics, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.ecoustics.com/news/roku-os-12/
2. “Roku Announces Availability of Roku 4K Select and Plus Series TVs” eCoustics, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.ecoustics.com/products/roku-tvs-2023
3. “Roku Announces Roku OS 12 With a Ton of New Features” Cord Cutters News, 9 Mar. 2023, https://cordcuttersnews.com/roku-announces-roku-os-12-with-a-ton-of-new-features/
4. “You can now buy a QLED Roku 4K TV that's actually made by Roku” TechRadar, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.techradar.com/news/you-can-now-buy-a-qled-roku-4k-tv-thats-actually-made-by-roku
5. “Your Roku TV Is Getting a Major Update” How-To Geek, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.howtogeek.com/877995/roku-os-12-release
6. “Roku unveils Roku OS 12 with an emphasis on Live TV and Sports” Android Headlines, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.androidheadlines.com/2023/03/roku-unveils-roku-os-12-with-an-emphasis-on-live-tv-and-sports.html
7. “Roku is adding a Local News Hub to its Live TV menu” Engadget, 9 Mar. 2023, https://www.engadget.com/roku-is-adding-a-local-news-hub-to-its-live-tv-menu-140056110.html