Apple’s Mixed Reality Headset to Launch at WWDC in June 2023
Apple's long-awaited mixed reality headset is expected to launch this year, according to a report from the Financial Times. After several delays, the company is reportedly planning to debut the device at the Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in June 2023. This news comes after sources have reported hardware and software issues that the Apple team needed to resolve before announcing the first product in this new category.
The first-generation headset is expected to be expensive, with a price tag of approximately $3000 due to the advanced technology involved. That includes dual 4K OLED displays and sophisticated eye-and-hand-tracking sensors. The device is anticipated to be bulky and have short battery life, with a maximum of two hours per session. The company is expecting to sell about one million units in the first year.
Reports suggest that Apple CEO Tim Cook has pushed for the launch of the mixed-reality headset this year, despite internal dissent. It is believed that Cook sided with operations head Jeff Williams in overriding the objections of the Apple design team, which argued that the technology was still not mature enough. Cook is likely to see the device as a way to cement his legacy as CEO, as it will be the second major new product launch of his tenure and potentially his last.
Though Apple hasn't yet announced the date of the release or its WWDC plans, the company is likely to debut the headset at the event this June. If successful, the device will expand Cook's influence at Apple for years to come.
0. “Tim Cook said to be rushing the launch of Apple's mixed reality headset despite objections from his team” TechSpot, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.techspot.com/news/97913-tim-cook-rushing-launch-apple-mixed-reality-headset.html
1. “Apple CEO pushes for headset launch this year despite design team objections” News9 LIVE, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.news9live.com/technology/gadgets/apple-ceo-pushes-for-headset-launch-this-year-despite-design-team-objections-au2181-2074012
2. “Report: Tim Cook and Jeff Williams push forward with AR/VR headset launch this year, design team wanted to hold off …” 9to5Mac, 12 Mar. 2023, https://9to5mac.com/2023/03/12/operations-headset-launch/
3. “Apple's mixed reality headset pushed through despite design team's warnings, report says” Pocket-lint, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.pocket-lint.com/apples-mixed-reality-headset-pushed-through-despite-design-teams-warnings/
4. “Apple CEO Tim Cook pushes MR headset launch despite concerns from designers” Wareable, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.wareable.com/apple/apple-xr-mixed-reality-headset-tim-cook-operations-design-team-launch
5. “Tim Cook ‘Pushed For Apple Headset Launch’ This Year” Silicon UK, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.silicon.co.uk/e-innovation/wearable/cook-apple-headset-launch-501463
6. “Tim Cook ‘overruled' AR/VR headset design team's objections to 2023 launch” Macworld, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.macworld.com/article/1655723/ar-vr-headset-2023-launch-design-team-tim-cook.html