Few of Us Getting Recommended 7 Hours of Sleep Per Night: Apple Heart & Movement Study
A major study from the Brigham and Women’s Hospital has revealed that few of us are getting our recommended 7 hours of sleep a night. As part of the Apple Heart & Movement Study, researchers reviewed data from over 2.9 million nights of sleep from Apple Watch users and found that just 31% of those people are getting at least seven hours of sleep per night. The American Heart Association recommends seven to nine hours of sleep per night and not getting enough can put you at risk for various health issues.
The data for the study was collected from over 42,000 people who have Apple Watches and opted into the study through the Apple Research app. The average amount of time asleep per individual was 6 hours and 27 minutes, with fewer than 40% of people meeting the AHA's recommended sleep duration.
In addition to the amount of sleep, the research also showed disparities in when sleep began on weekdays compared to weekends. On weekdays, people went to bed before midnight about 66% of the time, while on weekends that number drops to about 57%.
Good sleep provides health benefits, such as improving heart health and reducing the risk of depression, obesity, and higher blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels. To get better sleep, experts recommend setting a consistent bedtime and wake-up time, avoiding caffeine late in the day, and creating a relaxing pre-bedtime routine.
0. “Major Apple Watch study reveals we're not getting enough sleep” Wareable, 13 Mar. 2023, https://www.wareable.com/apple/major-apple-watch-study-sleep-results
1. “Apple Watch study says you need to get more sleep” AppleInsider, 13 Mar. 2023, https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/03/13/apple-watch-study-says-you-need-to-get-more-sleep
2. “Apple Watch study reveals most of us aren't getting nearly enough sleep every night” 9to5Mac, 12 Mar. 2023, https://9to5mac.com/2023/03/12/apple-watch-sleep-tracking-study-results/
3. “People aren't getting enough sleep, Apple Watch data shows” ABC News, 11 Mar. 2023, https://abcnews.go.com/Health/people-sleep-apple-watch-data-shows/story?id=97777216
4. “Sleep Loss Robs Your Health and Wealth – SavingAdvice.com Blog” SavingAdvice.com, 7 Mar. 2023, https://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2023/03/07/10109108_sleep-loss-robs-your-health-and-wealth.html