OpenAI Introduces New Setting to Disable Chat History on ChatGPT for Improved Data Protection
When the history is switched off, the conversation won't be visible on the sidebar anymore, and the data won't be used by OpenAI to train the AI model. For a period of 30 days, OpenAI will retain the conversations in the event of needing to examine them for any potential breaches of its regulations. If not, they will be deleted at the end of the month. Additionally, OpenAI has introduced a new ‘Export' option in the ChatGPT settings, which makes it easier for users to retrieve data from ChatGPT. Should you opt for this latest addition, you shall be sent an email containing a document with your chats and all other pertinent information.
OpenAI is also working on a new ChatGPT Business subscription for professionals who need more control to protect confidential company data and enterprises who need to manage end-users. This new subscription will follow the organization's API's data usage policies and refrain from using the data of end-users to train its models by default. ChatGPT Business will be made available to users “in the coming months.”
The decision comes amid increased scrutiny of how chatbots like ChatGPT manage user data, which is frequently used to “train” AI. Italy banned ChatGPT last month for alleged privacy concerns and demanded that OpenAI offer users methods to oppose data processing. The service has also caught the attention of France and Spain. The news comes in the wake of a move by the European Data Protection Board, earlier this month, to investigate ChatGPT, after complaints from privacy watchdogs that the chatbot did not comply with the EU's General Data Protection Regulation. Alleged violations of user privacy resulted in Italy temporarily prohibiting the use of ChatGPT in March. That country's guarantor for data protection demanded that the service demonstrate compliance with applicable privacy laws and provide improved transparency into how the system handles user data.
As international regulatory agencies contemplate ways to address ChatGPT and the generative AI industry, there is a growing emphasis on safeguarding privacy. OpenAI discovered and fixed a vulnerability in ChatGPT that could have exposed the titles of users' conversations. However, the Garante, Italy's Data Protection Authority, took it a step further and ordered OpenAI to block ChatGPT in Italy. The Garante released a set of conditions for reactivation which seem unattainable, particularly considering the deadline set for the end of April. An inquiry is being conducted by the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) to establish a framework for governing generative AI.
Users can now access the new control by navigating to the settings tab, located in the three-dot menu adjacent to their account. An option called “Data controls” should appear, enabling you to toggle off the “chat history & training storage” mode. These controls, which are rolling out to all users starting today, can be found in ChatGPT's settings and can be changed at any time. OpenAI hopes this provides an easier way to manage data than their existing opt-out process.
AI's impact on privacy is a major concern, particularly in the generative AI era. The initial apprehension was that the data provided to AI engines could be utilized to train those identical engines, which could potentially expose confidential information. While these privacy features offer better control and protection, it's crucial to exercise caution and refrain from disclosing sensitive or personal information when interacting with AI models. When using an online platform, it is crucial to keep privacy risks in mind and utilize AI-based tools in a responsible manner.
0. “ChatGPT rolls out important privacy options” AOL, 25 Apr. 2023, https://www.aol.com/news/chatgpt-rolls-important-privacy-options-214945584.html
1. “OpenAI unveils new chat history and data management settings for ChatGPT” CBS News, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/openai-chatgpt-new-chat-history-and-data-settings
2. “ChatGPT Adds Incognito Mode Erasing Chat History” Voicebot.ai, 25 Apr. 2023, https://voicebot.ai/2023/04/25/chatgpt-adds-incognito-mode-erasing-chat-history/
3. “OpenAI will let you turn off your chat history in ChatGPT” The Verge, 25 Apr. 2023, https://www.theverge.com/2023/4/25/23697942/openai-chatgpt-chat-history-data
4. “ChatGPT now lets you turn off chat history” BGR, 25 Apr. 2023, https://bgr.com/tech/chatgpt-now-lets-you-turn-off-chat-history-for-private-conversations/
5. “OpenAI announces ChatGPT Professional, a paid tier for businesses” SmartCompany, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.smartcompany.com.au/technology/emerging-technology/openai-announces-chatgpt-professional-paid-tier-businesses/
6. “OpenAI to let users disable chat history in ChatGPT, previews new subscription plan” The Tech Portal, 26 Apr. 2023, https://thetechportal.com/2023/04/26/openai-to-let-users-disable-chat-history-in-chatgpt-previews-new-subscription-plan/
7. “ChatGPT Goes Incognito: OpenAI updates privacy settings for ChatGPT, rolls out Incognito mode” Firstpost, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.firstpost.com/world/openai-updates-privacy-settings-for-chatgpt-rolls-out-incognito-mode-12510222.html
8. “ChatGPT learns to forget: OpenAI implements data privacy controls” Computerworld, 26 Apr. 2023, https://www.computerworld.com/article/3694652/chatgpt-learns-to-forget-openai-implements-data-privacy-controls.html
9. “OpenAI Now Lets You Turn Off Chat History for ChatGPT” PCMag, 25 Apr. 2023, https://www.pcmag.com/news/openai-now-lets-you-turn-off-chat-history-for-chatgpt
10. “OpenAI Spoils Users With More Data Control for ChatGPT” Analytics India Magazine, 25 Apr. 2023, https://analyticsindiamag.com/openai-spoils-users-with-more-data-control-for-chatgpt